Tuesday, December 7, 2010

SIC’s Model Illinois Government Team Wins State Competition (2009)

Southeastern Illinois College’s Model Illinois Government (MIG) team was named “Outstanding Small Delegation” at the recent legislative competition in Springfield. This award is the highest honor bestowed on a delegation of 10 or fewer members.

MIG is a legislative simulation and moot court with students filling roles as legislator, lobbyist, journalist, attorney, judge and party positions of committee and leadership. This year 277 students from 19 colleges and universities participated.

“This is the fourth year that SIC has won an Outstanding Delegation award. SIC received the Outstanding Large Delegation award in 2006 and won small delegation honors in 2004 and 2007,” said SIC advisor and political science instructor Matt Lees. “I couldn’t be any happier for these students. We only had three returning MIG delegates from last year’s team. They were one of the most talented groups I’ve ever had the pleasure to work with.”

MIG, also known as Government 260 “People and Politics,” is the training ground for political and legislative success in simulation.

“It involves preparing students for debate, parliamentary procedure, and frankly a lot of sweat equity. Students are required to research every bill in their committees, as well as bills covered in class. They must also keep a journal including at least three pieces of scholarly research and a bill summary,” said Lees.

Most courses taught at SIC last the whole semester, but “People and Politics” is shortened to two months of intense preparation time.

“I didn’t really know what to expect. All that I knew was that I had to do a lot of research and had to know about a lot of bills and be ready to debate them. During the whole process, honestly, I didn’t know if it would be worth it. However, when I got to Springfield and realized how prepared I was I knew that it was well worth it,” said Beka Nenonen, a representative from the SIC delegation.

Other students agree that the workload is intense, but altogether worth it.

“Model Illinois Government is comparable to boot camp. It is not for the weak willed individual. We take an entire semester’s worth of work and cram it into two months,” said Kayla Kearns, journalist from the SIC delegation. “However, for those individuals who are hard working, driven, and interested in legislature and political affairs, I would highly suggest MIG.”

Delegates from MIG meet in the state capital for the simulation. They come from universities and community colleges statewide to participate in floor action.

“I have learned so much in the past two months. While at MIG I gained new friends, and confidence in my public speaking. I definitely feel like this experience will help me in more ways than one in the future and am looking forward to next year,” said Cacy Ellis, representative for the SIC delegation.

The hard work paid off for the students, this year SIC came home with three whip positions, the Assistant House Minority Leader, two committee chairs, and awards for Outstanding Original Legislation and Outstanding Journalist. The delegation was also a finalist for Best Committee Person in the House.
Delegates securing whip positions included Caleb Motsinger, Ryan Oxford, and Megan Wurtele.

“As an aspiring Illinois State senator, I felt my experience with MIG was vital to my future and I look forward to doing it as long as possible,” said Motsinger.

Returning for her second year of simulation, Wurtele was able to re-evaluate her experience in a different light.

“This year’s MIG experience was totally different than last year’s because this year I had the “hang” of things just a little bit more. This year I was also able to be a committee chair, as well as Minority party whip. I learned so much about how politics is really ran, and exactly how much work goes into it,” said Wurtele.

Kearns filed numerous stories for the MIG Journal. She was later named Outstanding Journalist for her efforts.

Butler filled the role of a lobbyist and crafted his own veteran’s legislation. The subject was particularly moving, Butler recently returned from serving in Iraq.

“Delegates were genuinely impacted by both Skyler’s story and his honorable service to our country,” Lees said. “Not to mention that he also wrote a very compelling piece of legislation. It was over 15 pages long and written in statutory language. It was one of best pieces of original legislation I’ve ever seen.”

His bill was later named Outstanding Original Legislation.

“My first year of MIG can be summed up into very few words with a lot of attached meaning. I now understand the intensity and research that is required while enrolled in MIG at SIC and how it fully applies to the simulation,” said Butler.

While the Freshmen delegates contributed a great the success of the delegation can be traced directly to SIC’s returning delegates. Head delegate Tristyn Grounds led this group of veterans.

“Throughout the years Tristyn gained the respect of everyone both on our team and throughout the simulation. She is one of the most talented students I’ve ever had the pleasure of instructing,” said Lees. “This win can be directly attributed to Tristyn. Her leadership was the X factor on this team.”

“(MIG) is an experience of a lifetime, and after six years I still feel just as passionate about this organization, and still more every single time,” said Grounds.

Although the simulation has ended, the students are still continuing to prepare for next the competition next year.

“MIG is an experience of a lifetime. I absolutely encourage everyone to participate next year with us. Even with the lack of sleep, I already wish MIG started again tomorrow,” said Ozment.

Competition brings out the best in some students, Oxford feels he belongs in this environment.

“MIG has been a great experience for me. I know that it has prepared me for politics and has more importantly inspired me to be involved in politics,” said Oxford.

Others feel surprised by the benefits that went unmentioned in class.

“I have benefited from this experience more than I ever thought possible, I have formed many new friendships and learned so much along the way,” said Eddie Little, representative for the SIC delegation.

Until next spring, these students will continue to work towards the goal of competing again and making a difference in their lives, and the lives of others.

“The connections I have gained make all of the hard work worth the while. On behalf of the other delegates, I would like to thank Southeastern Illinois College for the opportunity to have this experience,” said Kearns. “This experience has dramatically changed my life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment