Tuesday, January 11, 2011

First day of training

Today has been good for me. I am starting training "boot camp" at the Daily Egyptian, and I've been promoted to the city desk as an associate editor. I was nervous when I first left from my house. I had my lunch, my backpack (complete with my laptop and voice recorder, various writing utensils and paper.), coffee and red grape juice. When I'm alone and I get nervous I listen to a variety of burned and mixed CDs that I have at my disposal.

So, on the way to work today, I listened to The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. I have been listening to it in the car for about a week now, so it's almost memorized. When I'm nervous, the screaming sort of snaps me out of it, because (in my head) these artists are expressing something deep that can't be sung about in a simple matter. These lyrics hold a meaning so intense that they literally have to scream it or it won't be properly expressed.

So, anyways, the album is “Don’t You Fake It” and Google tells me that it was released in 2006. I recognized “Face Down” because it was super popular. There are other songs that  struck me, so as I’m reading through these I’m going to paste some. These lyrics all remind me of different circumstances and different people.

“I remember a year ago I was standing in the crowd
waiting for my chance to break through, my chance to live again.”

“I'm reaching out here to show you what we've been through
I think there's something we can share, that's completely new
or maybe I'm just insane.”

“Take time to contemplate who you are and where you want to go.”

“I can't seem to understand it how you turned out to be so cold
You tried but were caught red handed, are you happy with your role?
It's funny to me how you've turned into such a joke.”

“A pebble in the water makes a ripple effect
every action in this world will bear a consequence.”

“Beat but I'm not broken
Guide me through with your hand
Lead with your words spoken
Show me how to listen.”

“Am I supposed to be happy?
With all I ever wanted, it comes with a price.
You said, you said that you would die for me.
You must live for me too'.
For me too, yeah, yeah.
You said that you would die for me.“



“Return to days when you knew you still felt alive
Reveal the way you felt when you could look inside
They've sold you
everything you need to fix you up
and you feel good now but you can't wake up
they found a way to reassure you
that everything would be okay
reach out today now I implore you
to remember who you are.”

“There's a fire in your eyes
And I hope you'll let it burn
There's a scream in your voice
And I hope you will be heard
There's a fire in your eyes
And I hope you'll let it burn
Until you're heard, you're heard”

“Point of rhythm is to follow it in time
To listen to the beating in your mind
Remember if you seek then you shall find”

“Once there was a time when we could learn
all the simple pleasantries a follower should yearn.
now all that I can do is watch them burn
and wish that I could save them all, or just one.”

“Seasons are changing
And waves are crashing
And stars are falling all for us
Days grow longer and nights grow shorter
I can show you I'll be the one.”

“Don't take what's in front of me,
open eyes can see I have everything
Tell you, don't take what's in front of me,
tell you, don't take what's in me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment