Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day Two


I really really like sun dried tomato hummus with pita chips when I'm writing. Especially in the office, because they are SUPER healthy, not messy, and I have to keep my desk neat and tidy, so that's important to me. I'm drinking red grape juice (again) because it's the only thing in my refrigerator (again). 

But that's not important, what's important is that it's day numero two of Daily Egyptian boot came/training week and I'm trying to post each day about what's up in the office. 

So, I'm creating story ideas for City desk; I have been all morning. Our expectations (as laid out by my boss, Nick) are as follows

"City reporters are to 'walk your beats,' always have a plan B. If there's going to be a hold in the paper, it better not be because your story dropped. Stay on top of major stories, I.E. elections, police cases, fires, demonstrations and protests, community meetings, housing - all of these are stories that should make it into the paper at least once a week. But, most importantly, meeting deadline, unless you intend on lasting as long as the Saints did against the Seahawks last week." - Nick Johnson, Chief of Staff, Daily Egyptian.

If you don't know, the Seahawks are a horrible football team, and the Saints won the Superbowl last year. The Seahawks sold their soul to Satan and beat the Saints last week, ending their chances at entering the next level of the playoffs. 

So, since my passionate reporting lies in political rhetoric, legislation, and things of that nature, I've been looking at the State of Illinois event list so that I can report on each individual, state funded, program that Illinois has. 

I.E. if Illinois is in the hole, I feel that I'm required to report it. I can let local opinions from Carbondale city council, and I fully intend on doing so. My articles should primarily be on hot topic issues, and in our area, that includes money, housing, race, human rights.. all things I'm super interested in. 
------------------------------------

This morning I listened to Emery, and it's one of my favorite bands ever. In the past, it was the only "screamer" band I could tolerate. The only reason I chose them was because I'd listened to their acoustic set and heard the screaming part, but they sang it instead, so I actually knew what they were screaming. 

I guess I figure that if I'm broadening my political views, that I should broaden my viewpoints in other areas of my life.
--------------------------------------

Which brings me to simplicity, I'm trying to simplify everything in my life. I've hauled out 7+ garbage bags of various things that I've held on to for various reasons. It seems that I have hoarding tendencies, primarily with sentimental objects (pictures, letters, cd's, greeting cards, old notes and papers).

I think I love keeping these things because it reminds me that people care, which is important to me because I struggle with depression. I had every letter that I've ever received.. ever, in my bedroom. (That's a lot, btw).

I've been brainstorming creative ways to organize this instead of just trashing it. I've been going through letters and reading them all. I've started cutting out the phrases and lines that were meaningful to me and putting them in a box. I'm trying to stick to positive and loving statements, not "i'm sorry" or other negative parts.

Anyways, so I'm taking these clip outs and putting them in a shoe box that I emptied out. Since I have many pictures, I also have many frames. I've emptied them all out and I decided that rather than trash these clippings that have meant so much to me at times, that I would turn it into matting for my frames. I'm painting my room two shades of yellow (because I love a yellow room) and I'm going to do a square of yellow paint in the middle with all the black frames.  It's really simple, so I'm going to add a burnt sienna or green (not sure) stenciling in the middle.

I am really excited about this, because I'm a romantic, and I love the idea of always being able to see what people who love me have written to me. I think it will help me heal, to remember the positives in my relationships instead of the negatives, and it's also going to look super cool. 

Reading through the letters is also helping me see some of my shortcomings in various relationships (not just love, but also friendship, and family stuff). I can see that I have some habits that need to be worked on, and have realized others that, before I began this project, I didn't know that I had.

Once I finish this, I'll come up with something creative to do with my pictures, if you have any ideas, let me know :)

2011 is looking to be a very reflective year for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment